I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Do you feel guilty taking a vacation? You shouldn’t. But apparently, Vacation Shaming is on the rise.
What’s Vacation Shaming you ask?
It’s being made to feel guilty by co-workers for taking a vacation. That’s right! Feel the shame.
New research* from the 2017 Alamo Rent A Car Family Vacation Survey shows U.S. workers are feeling more guilt than ever before about planning and taking their vacations.
Overall, around half (49 percent) of all American workers report feeling vacation shamed – compared with only 47 percent in the 2016 Alamo Family Vacation Survey.
And, vacation shaming is particularly on the rise among millennials. Significantly more employed millennials in 2017 reported feeling guilty for planning and taking a vacation (68 percent vs. 59 percent in the 2016 study) – a 19 percent year-over-year increase.
This is shocking to me that co-workers are making people feel bad about taking a deserved vacation. It just has to stop. Here are five reasons why:
5 Reasons Why Vacation Shaming Needs To Stop
- You Deserve It, So Take It – That’s right! I said it. When they hired you for that job, you were told you had two weeks or whatever you negotiated. Either way, you need to take those days off. Those days are yours, so use them all up.
- Recharge That Battery– Sometimes you have to get off the hamster wheel and disconnect. You’ll be a better parent, mom, spouse, friend and above all co-worker. Like my friend once told me, your inbox will always be filled. That means there will always be work to do, but you’ll never get those unused vacation days back.
- Make Memories – I’m sure you can think of a vacation, or a trip or even a place that you went to with your family as a kid that makes you feel nostalgic and brings back great memories. Now, your family can have that too! Plan the vacation they’ll never stop talking about.
- It’s Just Plain Mean – I’m a mom and I hate watching my kids getting bullied by someone. So why do I have to worry that I might be bullied while I’m taking my well-deserved vacation? It’s just ridiculous. Stop the hate!
- Life Is Too Short – It always takes a scare in life to reflect on the things that are important. Don’t wait for that moment, live your life today. When you’re time comes, you won’t be worried about the work you didn’t finish. You’ll wish you had more time with the ones you love.