Welcome to the first DIY Wednesday. Once or Twice a month on Wednesday’s, Local Mom Scoop will be showcasing easy DIY projects for any kind of occasion. Today is the Christmas Edition. Here we are going to make a snowman wreath for your front door. So let’s begin with the materials you will need.
- 1 18″ grape vine wreath $3.74
- 2 12″ grape vine wreaths $3.74
- Foam or Felt black hat (I found mine in a target bin for $3)
- Red scarf or ribbon. I used very wide red ribbon $5.25
- Bells – any size of your choosing. (or you can use something different like ornaments)
- White pipe cleaners $1.19
- Silver pipe cleaners $0.99
- 1 can White spray paint
- Over the door wreath hook
- Hot Glue Gun (I know my picture shows fabric glue. I did not end up using it)
- Other items to spruce it up: red raffia, red berries $0.74 or whatever else you want to use.
I spent about $24 dollars to put this together.
Notes: Michaels and Joann Fabric have weekly coupons that you can purchase most of these items at. The dollar store is another option as well. Also check around your house to see what materials you might already have.
- Take the grape vine wreaths and set them up to be spray painted or you can leave them with there natural color. The choice is yours. I spray painted them white with a can of white spray paint I had in my garage (note: always spray paint outdoors as it can be very messy.)
- While the wreaths are drying you can start working on the hat. I needed to measure the space between my storm door and front door to make sure my hat would have enough room when closing both doors. I used a sharp knife to slice through the hate and then cleaned up the edges with scissors. The ribbon on the hat was really flimsy so I had some extra ribbon lying around that I hot glued in its place. I then added a silver pipe cleaner and red berries for more embellishment. The red berries I got on sale at Michaels.
- If your paint is dry, take the white pipe cleaners and attach the 3 wreaths together.
- For the red scarf I am using wide red wire ribbon found at Michaels. If you have a red scarf already, you can use that too as it does not require gluing to the wreath. Cut the ribbon as long as you like. I wanted a long scarf for extra color. Wrap the ribbon around the base of the snowman head and tie into a knot.
- Bells – I added the bells for more embellishment. It is really up to you. I had some leftover red raffia ribbon. I took 4 bells and tied them togther. Then I tied them to the scarf.
- Hang the wreath on the door using an over the door wreath hanger.
- The last thing to do is attach the hat now. You can use wire, pipe cleaners or hot glue it to the top. I took a pipe cleaner and made a ring with it. I then hot glued it to the inside of the hat. I placed it on the hook of the door hanger. I wanted to make it easer to take apart the wreath for storing afterwards.
And you’re finished!!
Please like, share or subscribe!