When I hopped in my car yesterday to pick up the kids from school, I couldn’t believe the temperature said 103 degrees. I know it’s October, but isn’t it time for us to be feeling fall-like temperatures?
The local meteorologist explained the rest of the week’s forecast would include high temps as well. I knew what that meant. My kids would be inside trying to cool off after school.
With my air conditioner running so much, I knew I needed to find some energy efficiency tips. October just happens to be Energy Action Month. So, I’m ready to take action and share the scoop with you from Florida Power and Light Company (FPL) on how we become energy efficient, cut costs and control our energy usage.
FPL Energy Saving Tips
Get the scoop on these energy saving tips.
- Limit the time you run your pool pump. During the summer months run your pump six hours a day and winter months for four hours a day.
- Cool your home at 78 degrees or higher with the thermostat fan switched to auto. For additional savings, raise your thermostat to 82 degrees or higher when you’re away.
- Reduce your water heater temperature from 140 degrees to 120 degrees, which is the recommended temperature setting according to the U.S. Department of Energy, to save about $2 a month.
- Clean or replace the A/C filter regularly to help your unit run more efficiently and trim cooling costs.
- Turn off your ceiling fan when you leave the room. A fan that runs all the time costs up to $7 a month.
- Replace old, high-flow showerheads with water-efficient showerheads and save up to $80 a year.
- Adjust the water level on your washing machine to match the load size, especially when using hot water. Always use a cold rinse.
- Clean the lint filter in your dryer before every load to dry your clothes faster.
- Use the auto sensor function on your dryer to conserve energy by not over-drying your clothes.
FPL Mobile App
The mobile app is a great way to monitor your usage. It can help you take control of your energy usage and bill from your smartphone.
Check out these amazing features:
- Monitor your energy usage – Compare your energy usage across three months or a full year, including average temperature data, so you see how weather impacts your bill
- View your projected bill – Understand what your bill is projected to be, so you can take steps to help lower it before it arrives
- Check your account summary – View and edit your profile information and communication preferences, so you receive information on what matters most to you
- Track the length of your billing cycle – See where you are in your billing cycle: it can range from 28 to 35 days, which can affect your bill amount
- Pay your bill quickly and securely – Make a payment in a few taps, or adjust the date of an upcoming payment if you need to
The app is available for download in the iOS and Android app stores. Learn more at: FPL.com/easytosave.
FPL Online Home Energy Survey
Take the Online Home Energy Survey to get a personalized savings plan filled with energy-saving tips and recommendations. You’ll receive:
- Detailed analysis of your home’s energy use
- Personalized energy savings plan
- Even more tips for energy efficiency
FPL is hosting a $10,000 Smart Home Energy Makeover + Weekly Prizes.
Take the free Online Home Energy Survey, and automatically get entered to win a $10,000 Smart Home Energy Makeover and weekly prizes, including the ecobee4 Smart Thermostat.
This is happening now until Oct. 31, 2017. Enter here!
Sponsored Post: I received compensation in exchange for writing this review. Although this post is sponsored, all opinions are my own.